Last Updated on Jun 28, 2022 by Aradhana Gotur
Offered by EPFO, the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is a retirement benefits scheme specially designed for the benefit of salaried individuals. In this scheme, you (employee) invest a part of your monthly salary, and your employer makes an equal contribution to your Employees Provident Fund (EPF) and Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) accounts throughout your working years. EPF Form 10C and Scheme Certificate are two important documents to be used when changing jobs and transferring/withdrawing your pension account. Let’s read more on this.
Table of Contents
What is EPF Form 10C?
Form 10C is used to claim benefits under the Employee Pension Scheme (EPS). If you change your job, you can carry forward the same EPS account to your new employer using Form 10C. However, you can only withdraw the pension using Form 10C after 180 days of continuous service and before completing 10 yrs of service. All in all, Form 10C is required to avail the benefits of the scheme and to retain your membership with the Employee Provident Fund (EPF).
Eligibility to apply for Form 10C
The eligibility criteria to apply for Form 10C span across three categories:
Eligibility criteria I
- You have quit your job before completing 10 yrs of service
- You have attained 58 yrs of age before completing 10 yrs of service, whether you are still in service or have left
Eligibility criteria II
- You have completed 10 yrs of service but have not attained the age of 50 yrs at the time of application
- You are over 50 yrs but don’t exceed 58 yrs and are not willing to accept a lower pension
Eligibility criteria III
Family members, nominees, and legal heirs of a deceased member who died after the age of 58 yrs but had been in service for less than 10 yrs.
EPF Form 10C benefits
- Members falling under categories I and III can apply for withdrawal benefits.
- A member falling in category II is eligible for Scheme Certificate only. In the case of category II (b), if they are willing to accept a reduced pension, they are eligible to apply using Form 10D.
- A member who left service due to a permanent disablement can apply for a disablement pension using Form 10D.
What is an EPS Scheme Certificate?
Issued by EPFO, the Scheme Certificate is used for transferring the EPS amount to a new account when shifting jobs. The certificate is considered an authentic record of service as it contains your employment history. In addition, it has details about your family and nominees as well.
Transferring EPS amount is optional till your service period is over 180 days but less than 10 yrs. However, you can only transfer your pension from one account to another using the EPS Scheme Certificate once your service period exceeds more than 9.5 yrs and you are not aged 50 on the application date.
Benefits of Scheme Certificate
- Your service period with the previous employer is considered on starting a new job.
- In case you don’t take up employment, your family can get a pension if you die before attaining 58 yrs of age. If you survive, you get the withdrawal benefits.
EPF Form 10C details
EPF Form is a 4-page document. In most cases, you have to fill the first two pages only, but if you have made any advance claims against your EPF account, you will also be required to fill up the third page. You don’t have to fill out the last page as it is for administrative purposes. Let us go through the Form 10C sections:
- Date of birth
- Father’s or husband’s name in case you are married
- Employer’s address
- Your PF account number
- Joining date with your employer
- Reason and date of leaving
- Full address of your employer
- Particulars of family/nominees
- Mode of remittance
- Date and signature
- Information about age and account details for remittances
- Sum received
- Salary details
- Information about non-contributory service
- Date and signature
How to fill EPF Form 10C online?
On switching your job, you can either transfer your pension amount to an account with your new employer or withdraw it using Form 10C. However, you can only withdraw your pension amount on switching your job after at least 6 months of rendering continuous service but before completing 10 yrs. In that case, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Log in to EPF Member Portal using your Universal Account Number (UAN) and password
Step 2: From the ‘Online Services’ menu on the portal, select the ‘Claim (Form – 31, 19 and 10C)’ option
Step 3: On the next page, verify your employment KYC, and member details
Step 4: Enter last the four digits of your bank account number for verification
Step 5: Agree to the terms and conditions of the ‘Certificate of Undertaking’
Step 6: At the bottom of the next page in the ‘I want to apply for’ section, select the “Only Pension Withdrawal (Form 10C)’
Step 7: Click on the “Get Aadhaar OTP” button after filling in your complete address
Step 8: Verify the OTP that you will receive on your Aadhaar-registered mobile number by clicking on “Validate OTP and Submit Claim Form”
You will receive funds in your bank account after EPFO’s verification.
How to fill EPF Form 10C offline?
To follow an offline procedure, you can first download Form 10C. Then duly fill out the form and submit it at the nearest EPFO office.
The EPF Form 10C is required to be attested by your employer or both you and them, depending on the circumstance, discussed as follows:
- If you have applied using a form procured from a centre, it must be attested by your previous employer.
- If you have downloaded the EPF Form 10C online, both you and your employers have to attest it.
- In case your previous establishment is closed, and the Authorised Signatory/Employer is not available, you will need to get the attestation of one of the following authorised officials:
- Gazetted officer
- President of the village union
- Member of Parliament/Legislative Assembly
- Head of a recognised educational institution
- Chairman/Secretary/Member of Municipal/District Local Board
- Manager of the bank in which you have a Savings Bank account
- President of the Village Panchayath if the Union Board is not present
- Member of Central Board of Trustees/Regional Committee of Employee’s Provident Fund
Documents to be attached with the application
- Blank/cancelled cheque
- Death certificate if the member is deceased
- Succession certificate for legal heirs of the member
- Re 1 stamp if applying for withdrawal benefit through a bank
- Date of birth certificates of children when applying for the scheme certificate
EPF offers guaranteed retirement benefits. However, the returns you earn on this are moderate compared to market-linked investments. Ergo, EPF makes a good low-risk component of your investment portfolio.
FAQs on EPF Form 10C
Is EPS part of EPF?
EPF has three components:
1. Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) – accumulation of your retirement benefits
2. Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) – accumulation of your pension
3. Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme (EDLI) – a life insurance cover
How to withdraw pension contributions in EPF?
You can withdraw the pension contribution in EPF using Form 10C. Go through the eligibility criteria of using Form 10C before proceeding.
When can I claim form 10C?
You can request EPF withdrawal using Form 10C upon attaining the age of 58 yrs. You can also withdraw a pension after 180 days of rendering continuous service but before completing 10 yrs.
Should I fill out Form 10C every time I change a job?
Yes. You must fill out Form 10C on changing any number of jobs as the same form is used to transfer and withdraw the EPS amount. This is only required when your new company falls under the EPF Act, 1952.
How is your service period as an employee considered?
Your employment period is usually rounded off in the multiple of 6 months. In case your employment duration is 3 yrs and 2 months, your EPS service period will be considered as 3 yrs only.
What will my pension be if I change my job after just 120 days of service and want to withdraw it?
As per the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS), 1995, you are only eligible to withdraw funds from your EPS account after rendering service for a minimum of 180 days in the organisation. Therefore, you will not get any pension from your EPS account in this case. However, you can withdraw 75% of the EPF account after being unemployed for 1 month. You can withdraw the remaining 25% of the EPF amount after 2 months of unemployment.
I have completed 8 months in an organisation. How much pension will I get if I withdraw EPS?
Since the employment period is rounded off in the multiples of 6 months, your 8 months service period will be rounded off to 6 months, and you will get a pension equivalent to 6 months. Again, you can claim an EPF of 8 months in case of unemployment.
When to use Form 10C?
You can use Form 10C to either withdraw your pension or transfer your account to your next employer. You can use the form to file a claim for:
1. Employer share refund
2. Scheme Certificate
3. EPF withdrawal