Last Updated on May 24, 2022 by Anjali Chourasiya
A travel insurance policy covers the financial risks you might face when travelling. It covers the duration of your trip and can be extended to include your family members too if you are travelling together.
When planning a trip, you make advance reservations, travel bookings and plan a detailed itinerary. You also research the destination to ensure that you visit all the must-see places.
But does a travel insurance plan form a part of your trip planning exercise? In many cases, it does not. But it should. Read further to understand why travel insurance is important and the five main reasons to buy travel insurance.
Table of Contents
International hospitalisations are expensive
Most international countries are medically advanced, and a simple instance of hospitalisation can prove to be extremely expensive. Meeting the cost of international treatments might prove financially challenging. It is for this main reason that a travel insurance policy becomes necessary. If you are travelling internationally and unfortunately fall ill or injure yourself, hospitalisation would more or less cut you a large bill. But, in case you are insured, all such costs would be covered.
The travel insurance plan covers international treatments. If you are hospitalised or are evacuated for medical reasons, the policy would bear the medical costs that you incur. You can even avail of cashless treatments without worrying about the underlying costs.
So, to protect your finances from a medical emergency, a travel insurance plan is needed.
Your finances might take a hit in an emergency
Anything can go wrong when you travel. The airline might lose your checked-in baggage, or you might be robbed. You might cause financial loss to other individuals, or your trip might get extended. In these emergencies, having a travel insurance policy could be very helpful.
Besides covering medical emergencies, travel insurance plans provide a wide scope of coverage that includes other emergencies you might face on the trip. You get compensated for the financial losses that you might sustain.
This ensures that your finances do not take a hit when things don’t go according to plan.
Get covered if the trip is cancelled
You can plan every aspect of your trip yet not control everything. If an emergency comes up and you cannot make the trip, you would lose out on the advance bookings done in a general scenario. But not when you have a travel insurance policy!
The policy covers trip cancellations caused due to unavoidable circumstances, like a serious medical emergency of a family member. If you cancel the trip, the travel insurance policy will compensate for the losses incurred on advance bookings done for trip reservations and hotel accommodations.
The plan is affordable
One of the best aspects of a travel insurance policy, besides coverage, is its affordability. The policy has very affordable premiums so that you don’t feel the pocket pinch.
With a low premium, you can avail yourself of optimal coverage that would protect you financially in the face of emergencies.
Some countries require mandatory cover
If you are visiting Schengen countries like France, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, etc., you need an international medical insurance policy for a valid visa. As a travel insurance policy provides coverage for international medical treatments, it becomes a prerequisite when availing of the visa.
These reasons stress the importance of having a travel insurance policy. Each of these reasons justifies investing in a travel insurance plan when heading out on vacation.
Factors to consider before investing in travel insurance
- Buy the policy when you start making bookings for your trip. The coverage would start when your trip begins, but when you buy it in advance, you can get coverage if the trip gets cancelled.
- Choose an optimal sum insured, keeping in mind that international medical treatments are expensive. Opt for the maximum possible sum insured if you want any possible medical contingency to get adequately covered.
- Ensure all your family members are covered. Emergencies might strike anyone, and if any member is uninsured, you would ultimately pay for the losses.
- Travel insurance plans have deductible limits up to which claims are not paid. Check these limits and opt for a policy where the limits are low. This would ensure minimal out-of-pocket expenses.
- Travel insurance plans allow optional coverage benefits at an additional premium. Assess your coverage needs and the benefits available. The additional premium outgo would be minimal while you could get considerable coverage.
- Different insurers offer a travel insurance policy. Compare the coverage benefits vis-à-vis the premium rates charged across different plans. Then choose the best deal wherein you get the maximum coverage benefits at the lowest premium rates.
Going on a vacation is one of the ultimate joys in life. Many families are plan getaways to relax and explore new places. If you are planning a vacation, research the destination before any planning. Make sure you add a travel insurance policy to your planning.
Invest in travel insurance enjoy financial security. In case an emergency arises, the travel insurance policy would come to your rescue!